So I am writing this all down because I feel like I’ve gotten to be a pro at dating while doing a round of Whole30.
My most recent bout with the dating world came late August/early September coincidentally when I decided to do my 8th round of Whole30.
No this was not how this was supposed to go. Not even close.
I was seeing a gentleman for about 2 months in the summer, when I went to wedding at the end of August, I had this realization that we had no future, so I did the adult thing and ended it. There were myriads of things wrong…one of which was that this person made fun of my whole30ing and my insta and my blog. That was a huge red flag. So ladies, if your man doesn’t support you in this…you say “boi bye”.
Anyways, it was time to go back into the scary world of dating. Now let me also share some back story on my dating life. I have been single since April of 2016, when I broke off my first relationship (which lasted about 1.5 yrs). I have dove into the realm of dating three times since then…August 2016, January 2017 and August 2017.
Ironically these dates coincide with rounds of whole30…I swear this happens by accident!
So now back to August 2017…I made the commitment to starting dating again hardcore…back on all the apps. Mind you, I was on 4…yes 4…no shame. I did Tinder, Bumble, Hinge and Coffee Meets Bagel. Then I realized I was starting the September Whole30 on September 6th…..crap. But I already committed to one so I might as well roll with it.
So here’s what I did.
- I decided that I was gonna be upfront with my date about my whole30. I would tell them I’m on a cleanse and that I can’t drink when we would start planning the date. Some took it really well….atleast in the beginning. I’ve found that it’s better you’re upfront about not drinking alcohol then surprising your date at a bar with water and lying that you are on antibiotics (oooooops ). Now I would give very little detail from myself and only elaborate a little if the person asked/wanted to genuinely know more. This turned into a test…if the person actually cared to know more information…that made them more interesting. Same thing, if they respected my decision to do a “cleanse”. And I did not share that I live a whole30 lifestyle….remember you have to hide the crazy at first hahah!
- Date Plans – if the individual really wanted to get drinks, fine…I would just tell them that I was going to drink water. Again some treated the situation fine…others would have a fit….I’m not kidding…he had a fit. Suffice to say he did not get a date #2.
- Date Plans – if possible, I would take the upper hand in planning the date…that way I could choose what meshes the best with my whole30. Now some guys like this…others didn’t…but I guess that’s a gauge of their personality.
- Date Plans – if the individual is set on dinner (and I’m gonna be brutally honest…first date dinner dates are really hard so avoid if possible) try to see if you can figure out the place to go…be proactive in this. That way it’s not a surprise when you get there and there is nothing for you to eat.
- Actual Date – I tried to again talk very little about my whole30..keeping it vague…because your dietary quests/weight loss journey/health journey don’t need to be the focus of the first date.
- Now if your date makes it to the second, third or fourth…I would again follow the above rules and hopefully by that time your date would be respectful of your whole30.
-If you can get your date to go for coffee or brunch or non-food related activity you will be golden!
-If the individual honestly respects your whole30 (which not everyone does), he might be a keeper!